EWING, N.J. (April 7, 2019) – The SUNY Delhi men's and women's track and field teams enjoyed a beautiful day down in New Jersey at the TCNJ Lion Invitational Saturday, both figuratively and competitively. Competing in 60-degree sunny weather with little wind, the Broncos used the conditions to their advantage with 16 lifetime bests, two new women's school records and three AARTFC qualifiers.
After getting close in prior meets, freshman Katerina Salcedo broke the school record in the 800 meters, while also earning a regional bid with a time of 2:18.15, finishing third. She passed the previous mark of 2:18.2 set by Sherry Little. The Binghamton, NY native also secured a 4x100 regional spot, teaming up with Jaylynn Sheppard, Erica Cornmire and Madeeah Oranchak to place second at 50.54. Junior thrower Diana Echols broke her own school record in the hammer throw with a measurement of 41.94m, good for fifth place; her previous best was 39.80m. Echols also threw 11.00m in the shot put for 11th place.
Jumper Glenn Butler Jr., who had already locked up an AARTFC spot in the high jump, moved over to the pit for his next regional bid, setting a new lifetime best in the long jump at 6.86m for third place. Butler also placed second in the high jump at 1.95m, as well as 16th in the 100-meter run at 11.45 to lead the men.
Over in the PR realm, jumper Alex Irving improved by one foot on his long jump, coming in on a 6.32m (20'9") measurement to finish eighth and rank second in the NAC, behind Butler. Thrower Akilah Sanders cleared her previous career high by nearly two feet in the shot put, using a 10.86m (35'7.75") heave to take 12th in the event.
Freshman Humphrey Banful made the 110-meter hurdle finals after clocking in at 16.05 in prelims, then posting a 15.85 time in the finals for sixth place. He then grouped with Sean Andrews, Banful, Shamar Barker, Owen Sleasman to take fourth in the 4x100 with a time of 44.32.
The Broncos have several days to relax over spring break before they return to Delhi on Saturday to host the Bronco Classic.
- Katerina Salcedo – Broke the SUNY Delhi school record in the 800 meters at 2:18.15 to post a number-one NAC time. Also ran on the 4x100 relay for a regional qualifying time of 50.54 to place second.
- Diana Echols – Shattered her own school record in the hammer throw with a new NAC-leading performance of 41.94m. Threw 11.00m in shot put for 11th place.
- Alex Irving – Added a foot to his lifetime best in the long jump at 6.32m (20'9") to move to number two in the NAC teammate Glenn Butler. Also placed tenth in triple jump at 12.69m.
- Madeeah Oranchak – Ran a season best in the 100 meters at 13.10 and anchored the women's 4x100 relay to a regional qualifying time of 50.54 to place second.
AARTFC Watch – Wednesday, May 15 to Thursday, May 16 @ Ithaca College
- Nicholas Arnecke: 10,000 meters (32:24.64 at Goucher) | 5,000 meters (14:52.81 at Princeton)
- Glenn Butler Jr.: High jump (1.92m at Goucher, 2.01m at Mt. St. Mary, 1.95m at TCNJ) | Long Jump (6.86m at TCNJ)
- Kobie Lane: 5000 meters (15:11.13 at Goucher, 14:49.69 at Princeton)
- Katerina Salcedo: 800 meters (2:18.15 at TCNJ) *School Record
- Abshir Yerow: 10,000 meters (32:11.12 at Goucher, 31:44.94 at Princeton)
- Women's 4x100 Relay: Jaylynn Sheppard, Katerina Salcedo, Erica Cornmire, Madeeah Oranchak (50.54 at TCNJ)
SUNY DELHI TEAM RESULTS
MEN: 17. Shamar Barker – 51.76
WOMEN: 3. Katerina Salcedo – 2:18.15
MEN: 24. Kevin Malen – 9:46.46
100 METER HURDLES
110 METER HURDLES
MEN: 6. Humphrey Banful – 15.85 (16.05 in prelim)
400 METER HURDLES
WOMEN: 11. Arielle Moheimani – 1:10.96
3000 METER STEEPLECHASE
MEN: 2. Matthew Scavetta – 4.20m
WOMEN: 8. Madeeah Oranchak – 4.88m