ERIE, Pa. (February 13, 2019) – The SUNY Delhi women's and men's swimming and diving teams are currently making a landmark voyage in the program's history to the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) Championships at Penn State Behrend in Erie PA. Under first-year head coach Mike Burud, the Broncos completed an encouraging first regular season as NCAA Division III members, and will look to cap it off competing the next four days at their inaugural NCAA conference championships.
"I'm really excited to get out to our conference championship meet," said Burud. "In swimming, we put a lot of focus on the end of the season and our championship meets. It really is an entire season of work leading up to this so the swimmers are all pretty excited to swim fast and have some fun. There will be a lot a great competition at AMCC's and I'm happy the team will get to see where the SUNY Delhi swim program is headed in the years to come."
In year one, Coach Burud guided eight new swimmers and three returners through the team's first year in both NCAA Division III and the AMCC. The Broncos also made themselves familiar with conference competition, having competed against Alfred State and Penn State Altoona during the season. This week's competition includes the likes of host Penn State Behrend, Franciscan and Pitt Bradford.
Year in Review
- Feb. 2018: SUNY Delhi Athletics approved for NCAA Division III provisional membership for 2018-19 season, establishing Swimming and Diving's official move to NCAA. STORY
- June 11, 2018: Mike Burud, former St. Bonaventure swimmer and Marist assistant coach, hired as head coach. STORY | VIDEO
- June 12, 2018: Swimming & Diving joins Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC). STORY
- Oct. 13, 2018: Men compete in first-ever NCAA competition in dual match at William Paterson. STORY
- Oct. 27, 2018: Women make NCAA debut at SUNY Cobleskill Tri-Match. STORY
- Nov. 13, 2018: Robert Armistead named AMCC Men's Swimmer of the Week following a three-win performance at William Smith. STORY
- Dec. 1, 2018: SUNY Delhi hosts first NCAA home meet, welcoming Cazenovia and fellow AMCC school Penn State Altoona. The men finished second. STORY | PHOTOS
- Jan. 23, 2019: Coach Burud's team holds second and final home meet in dual match with Wells, winning five events. STORY
- Feb. 2, 2019: Broncos wrap up regular season at Skidmore Sprint Invitational, tallying four top-five finishes. STORY
Look out for…
- Freshman Robert Armistead became the program's first-ever AMCC Men's Swimmer of the Week back in November after taking three wins at William Smith. He captured two solo victories in the 200-yard IM (2:53.99) and 100-yard backstroke (1:19.41), while swimming a leg to win the 200-yard freestyle relay (2:06.92). He also won the 100-yard breaststroke (1:25.74) at Cazenovia in early November, and earned another victory in the 100-yard backstroke (1:17.57) against Wells in January.
- Sophomore Julia Witt is the women's top freestyle swimmer, capturing five victories on the year in the 500-yard (6:11.41, 6:19.50) 200-yard (2:16.79), 100-yard (1:03.34), and 50-yard (28.47) freestyle races.
- Jacob Shoemaker has been a vital component of the Broncos' relay teams, holding down the breaststrokes on the medley relays as the team captured one victory on the season. He has also secured solo wins in the freestyle and butterfly.
Follow Your Broncos! | Psych Sheet | Schedule