DELHI, N.Y. (April 14, 2019) – The SUNY Delhi track and field team could not have asked for a better day Saturday to host their annual Bronco Classic. Competing under partly cloudy skies and temperatures as high as in the mid-60's, the Broncos used the occasion to post ten victories, as well as punching yet another ticket for the AARTFC Championships.
Thrower Diana Echols had another career week in the shot put, this time earning a regional qualifier with a distance of 11.71m to finish second in the event. Her throw puts her just .04m behind former teammate Cheyenne Weaver for the school record. Echols went on to compete in the hammer throw, taking third with a measurement of 39.66m. Multi athlete Arielle Moheimani had two wins on the day, earning the Broncos' next victory in the throws in the javelin at 30.61m, as well as winning the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 13:16.66. Teammate Alexis Stevenson finished third in the steeple at 14:22.16.
Madeeah Oranchak took her skills to the jumping pit and the track to win three events. She posted a NAC-best 10.64m (34'11") to win her first triple jump of the season, and now leads the conference by over two feet. She ran the final leg of the winning 4x100 team that broke 50 seconds with a time of 49.99, and battled through a heavy headwind to take first in the 200 meters at 27.06. Her teammates on the 4x100 all also went on to capture strong days in other events. Freshman Katerina Salcedo, who ran the second leg of the 4x100, won the 400 meters with a NAC-best time of 1:01.97. Erica Cornmire, who ran the third leg, went on to win the long jump with a mark of 4.81m and fourth in the 200 meters at 28.11. Jaylynn Sheppard, who handled the first leg, ran a lifetime-best 27.63 for second place in the 200 meters.
After already landing regional bids for the high jump and long jump, Glenn Butler Jr. competed in the high to win the event at 2.00m. He also ran on the 100 meters, taking fifth with a time of 11.86. Finishing ahead of him in the 100 meters was freshman Owen Sleasman, who ran out of the second heat to place fourth overall with a time of 11.81. He pulled off the same feat in the 200 meters, clocking in at 23.88. Fellow freshman Sean Andrews earned a second-place finish in the 400 meters with a NAC-best time of 51.31, and ran the opening leg of the 4x400 that finished second with a NAC-leading mark of 3:29.47 with teammates Shamar Barker, Humphrey Banful and Michael Moran.
Following their tremendous career performances at Princeton last weekend, distance men Nicholas Arnecke, Kobie Lane and Abshir Yerow made the most of their opportunity Saturday to dazzle their home crowd. Lane took first in the 1,500 meters with a time of 4:06.00, while Arnecke finished third at 4:10.85. Yerow won the 5,000 meters, clocking in at 15:51.92.
Head coach Robb Munro's team is set to begin a busy few weeks entering the home stretch of their regular season. Next weekend sees them splitting time between the Cortland Classic, which runs this Friday and Saturday, and Saturday's East Stroudsburg All-American Meet.
- Owen Sleasman – Placed fourth in the Bronco Classic in the 100 meters (11.81) and 200 meters (23.61), running out of the second heat in both races.
- Sean Andrews – Ran a lifetime best and NAC-leading time in the 400 meters at 51.31, and was on the 4x400 that posted a top NAC time of 3:29.47 for second place.
- Katerina Salcedo – Ran a conference best in the 400 meters at 1:01.97 for first place, was on the winning 4x100 team that broke 50 seconds at 49.99.
- Madeeah Oranchak – Jumped 10.64m (34'11") in her first triple jump of the season, posting a lifetime best and leading the NAC by over 2 feet. Also won the 200 meters (27.06) and anchored the winning 4x100 team that broke 50 seconds at 49.99.
- Jaylynn Sheppard – Posted a lifetime-best 27.63 in the 200 meters into a heavy headwind and ran the first leg of the winning 4x100 team that broke 50 seconds at 49.99.
AARTFC Watch – Wednesday, May 15 to Thursday, May 16 @ SUNY Cortland
- Nicholas Arnecke: 10,000 meters (32:24.64 at Goucher) | 5,000 meters (14:52.81 at Princeton)
- Glenn Butler Jr.: High jump (1.92m at Goucher, 2.01m at Mt. St. Mary, 1.95m at TCNJ, 2.00m at Bronco Classic) | Long Jump (6.86m at TCNJ)
- Diana Echols: Shot Put (11.71m at Bronco Classic)
- Kobie Lane: 5000 meters (15:11.13 at Goucher, 14:49.69 at Princeton)
- Katerina Salcedo: 800 meters (2:18.15 at TCNJ) *School Record
- Abshir Yerow: 10,000 meters (32:11.12 at Goucher, 31:44.94 at Princeton)
- Women's 4x100 Relay: Jaylynn Sheppard, Katerina Salcedo, Erica Cornmire, Madeeah Oranchak (50.54 at TCNJ, 49.99 at Bronco Classic)
SUNY DELHI TEAM RESULTS
MEN: 2. Sean Andrews – 51.31
WOMEN: 13. Ashley Magnifico – 2:51.39
MEN: 7. Shamar Barker – 2:08.57
WOMEN: 11. Tristen Bowker – 5:33.30
MEN: 1. Kobie Lane – 4:06.00, 3. Nicholas Arnecke – 4:10.85, 4. Lucas Reilly – 4:12.78, 9. Derrick Kenan – 4:22.96, 10. Bladimir Pena – 4:26.10, 11. Anthony Cuchel – 4:26.20, 14. Devon Benarick – 4:32.64, 15. Frank Martucci – 4:34.79, 16. Jack Hopkins – 4:39.21
100 METER HURDLES
WOMEN: 4. Aliyah McLean – 19.64
400 METER HURDLES
WOMEN: 4. Susan Hoskins – 1:18.83
3000 METER STEEPLECHASE
WOMEN: 4. Ashanti Mirville – 1.45m
WOMEN: 4. Aliyah McLean – 2.28m
WOMEN: 1. Madeeah Oranchak – 10.64m